RN Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist Full Time
Company: Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital
Location: Pico Rivera
Posted on: November 25, 2022
If you are interested please apply online and send your resume
to NOrozco@mlkch.org POSITION SUMMARY The Certified Diabetes Care
and Education Specialist (CDCES) is a skilled and experienced
professional Registered Nurse (RN) who is a content expert in
diabetes care and education. The RN CDCES is responsible to assist
in developing , review and revise all diabetes education material
by incorporating the Association of Diabetes Care and Education
Specialist (ADCES) "Healthy 7 -" fundamental teaching tools. In
addition, combines Age and Population specific awareness and the
Watson Model of Care in program development. The CDCES promotes
self-management to achieve individualized behavioral and treatment
goals that reduce risk and optimize health outcomes. The RN CDCES
has the responsibility to provide diabetes education to both the
patient, their family and/or caregivers and Martin Luther King Jr.,
Community Healthcare (MLKCH) clinical staff. This role supports
Martin Luther King Jr., Medical Group (MLKMG) ambulatory clinics by
providing and/or reviewing current clinical diabetes educational
material to ensure all teaching material is congruent across the
MLKCH service lines. The RN CDCES will be a member of MLKCH
Diabetes Care Committee and takes an active role in reviewing
hospital wide policy and procedures relating to diabetes education
and glycemic control. The RN CDCES provides the Diabetes Care
Committee with the most current American Diabetes Association's
clinical best practice guidelines and Standards of Medical Care to
ensure MLKCH remains updated on diabetes care and education. It is
expected that the employee will demonstrate behavior consistent
with the Core Values. The employee shall support Martin Luther
King, Jr. Community Healthcare's strategic plan and the goals and
direction of the quality and performance improvement process
activities. The inpatient RN CDCES reports to the Director,
Diabetes Care and Education ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND
- Provides evidenced based, clinical best practice in diabetes
education to persons with diabetes and their family members or
- Keeps the Director, Diabetes Care and Education and Director of
Professional Practice and Education, informed of educational
activities, status of programs, and proposals for new and revised
- Participates as a member of interdisciplinary healthcare team
to facilitate the continuum of care and education of patients with
- Serves as a consultant/resource to the clinical areas, clinic
staff, and departments as it relates to diabetes education.
- Works with the Director, Diabetes Care and Education and
Nursing Leadership team for new clinical initiatives regarding
diabetes and education.
- Cultivates positive and collaborative relationships with
nursing, and clinical leadership team to ensure that educational
needs are being met in the most effective manner possible.
- Provides leadership through educational activities to bring
about changes in clinical practice regarding diabetes care and
- Evaluates diabetes education programs on a regular basis and
plans and implements improvements based on this evaluation and
feedback from key stakeholders
- Monitors and evaluates, as needed, resource utilization,
patient outcomes, patient's skills in self-care, and patient's
ability and readiness to learn.
- Ensures correct and timely documentation in the patient's
medical record following individual consultation.
- Counsels and educates individual patients appropriately on
diabetes care in conjunction with patient's medical provider
(diabetes medications, exercise, diet, sick days, etc.).
- Performs root cause analysis on hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia
events to identify possible causes and when appropriate, make
recommendations to medical staff and/or pharmacy staff to consider
diabetes medication adjustments.
- Utilizes adult learning principles in program planning to
select the teaching strategy and method appropriate for the learner
and the content including e-learning.
- Develops and conducts group presentations and related
educational programs, and staff in-services, as needed.
- Working with Professional Education Department, (PED) the
Diabetes Education Team will develop and provide diabetes
symposiums to MLKCH and MLKMG staff, identifying topics, speakers,
objectives and evaluations, with assistance from PED for continuing
- When developing diabetes education for clinical staff, the
curriculum incorporates MLKCH clinical Polices and Procedures and
recommendations from Quality and Performance Improvement
- Uses, protects, and discloses MLKCH patients' protected health
information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards. POSITION
REQUIREMENTS A. Education
- Bachelor of Science degree in nursing required; Master's in
Nursing or Nursing related preferred. B. Qualifications/Experience
- Minimum of two (2) years of clinical nursing experience and a
minimum two (2) years diabetes education experience with inpatient
and outpatient settings.
- Current California Nursing license.
- Certification of Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES)
- Candidates with CDCES exam eligible will be considered, and
will be required to pass exam within 90 days of start date
- Experience with implementation of an EMR preferred C. Special
- Bilingual skills preferred (Spanish)
- Basic computer skills
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS)
Keywords: Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital, Pico Rivera , RN Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist Full Time, Education / Teaching , Pico Rivera, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!