Functions as an AltaMed ambassador, is
welcoming and attentive to the needs of all patients and creates a
positive patient experience by managing expectations while
demonstrating compassion and respect. The M.A. III will assist in
the provision of direct patient care by performing routine patient
care procedures and technical/clerical support services in the
clinical setting. He/She will perform this role by building
relationships with patients, listening to them and gaining their
trust. He/She will also demonstrate compassion and respect and will
be proactive in managing patient’s expectations. In addition, the
M.A. III will function as an Electronic Health Record (EHR) Super
User and will perform more administrative responsibilities that
include providing feedback on Back Office processes to the Clinic
Management; will serve as a role model for “Care in Action”. Will
also assist in achieving department goals and objectives by
providing support and guidance to the M.A. team as a mentor and
trainer. If working at the Patient Service Center, will provide
other duties over the telephone. If working with the Mammography
and Pap Smear Registry, will perform other duties related to
ensuring all diagnostic test results are appropriately managed for
1. Perform patient intake (i.e. vitals,
2. Perform all requested orders (i.e.
vaccines, medication administration, labs, CLIA Waive Test,
Hearing, Vision, etc.) in order to prepare for provider visit.
3. Document intake into EHR (for all
specialties) and function as a system superuser for AltaMed’s EHR.
Follow-up on in-basket message and management tasks.
4. Makes rounds and manages patient flows
in back and front offices.
5. Ensures patient care areas clean and
stocked, including supply, medicine, and vaccine
6. Function as a patient advocate by
ensuring patient concerns are resolved and/or addressed in a timely
7. Responsible for assisting in the
training and development of new and/or existing staff as needed;
includes completing random chart audits.
8. Responsible for providing feedback
regarding back office procedures to all clinic management regarding
improvements in patient/work flow.
9. Responsible for participating in
interviews and selection process for M.A. I & II as needed;
includes providing performance-based feedback for existing
10. Performs other related duties as
Position May Include Patient
Service Center (PSC) Responsibilities:
11. Perform patient intake over the
12. Perform all requested orders (i.e
printing and mailing of after visit summary, printing labs, routing
messages to the right pools, scheduling of appointment etc.) if
working at PSC.
Position May Include Mammography
and Pap Smear Registry Responsibilities:
13. Follow up on Registry patients
(Abnormal Paps, Mammograms, Colorectal, and Lab results) by
determining appropriate next actions and contacting patient to
provide information and appointment scheduling assistance as
14. Track patients with a history of
abnormal registry results to ensure compliance with recommended
15. Follow up on pending Diagnostic orders
(mammo registry only).
16. Informs patients of PAP results and
provide recommendation based on ASCCP Screening Guidelines as
directed by Registered Nurse or Provider.
17. Documents and communicates activities
via EHR with providers and actions taken (e.g. medication,
immunization records, nursing care plans, etc.)
18. Performs, observes, and records
symptoms, interactions and progress of the patient and reports
findings to the medical provider. Does not make independent medical
or healthcare decisions.
19. Assist with referrals as needed.
- Medical Assistant certificate along with a high school diploma
or equivalent required.
- CPR/First Aid certificate required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a back office Medical
Assistant required; 4 years preferred. Prior experience as a "lead"
or "first line supervisor" strongly preferred.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish/Mandarin/Cantonese strongly